Monday, November 21, 2011

7 Things I Learned in 7 Days of Veganism

Chai Tea Latte and a Grateful Graham from the Redtree Gallery and Cafe


This past Friday (November 18th) marked exactly one week of 100% vegan eating. After my epic juice-fast fail, I went right into a vegan detox of sorts with the ultimate goal of rebooting and getting on track before Gluttonfest '12 aka Thanksgiving. Overall, the week was a great success and it left me feeling recharged and fabulous.

Here are 7 Things I Learned in 7 Days of strict veganism:

1. You don't have to go to a vegan-only restaurant to eat out.
There are a lot more food options out there than I initially thought when it comes to dining out. While it definitely helps to find restaurants that are openly vegetarian- and vegan-friendly, it is also possible to eat at more mainstream restaurants so long as you just put some thought into it. Find veggie-heavy dishes and just ask for no meat. Get a giant salad and have them leave off the cheese. Ask for a soy latte sans whipped cream in place of your usual dairy-filled beverage. Just be creative, and be clear with your server about what your goal is-- sometimes they make some good suggestions too!

Some ways I got creative with my dining out:
  • I ordered a Premium salad from Panera and had them take off the meat and cheese. Then, for my side dish I skipped my usual baguette and went with an apple which I then chopped up and added to my salad for some extra flavor. Yummy!
  • My family went to a Mexican restaurant and instead of sulking about not being able to get a big beefy burrito, I went with the vegetarian fajitas. In place of the refried beans that usually come with the meal (and are often cooked with lard), I substituted plain black beans, which I prefer anyway. I got rid of the sour cream and doubled up on the guacamole to keep the moisture factor.
  • My usual coffee house regular mocha and blueberry scone was replaced by a soy chai tea latte and-- one of my most favorite discoveries so far-- a Grateful Graham from a local vegan baker. They are AMAZING.
  • A local favorite around here is Skyline Chili threeways-- spaghetti topped with Cincinnati-style chili and mounds of cheddar cheese. On the last day of our vegan detox I had an art show to set up for until late at night and by the end of it we were in no mood to cook. We stopped by Skyline and ordered a threeway with their black bean mixture instead of the chili. It has the same spices and seasonings as the regular chili so it satisfies the same craving which is good. When going through the drive-thru, Skyline puts the cheese in a little baggie on the side for the customer to put on when they get home. Since Kyle knows how much I LOVE cheese he made sure they didn't even put it in the bag so that I wouldn't be tempted. Oh Baberoo, always looking out for my best interest!
2. My old eating habits were destroying my skin.
Over the past week I've noticed lots of changes including a slimmer waistline, lots of energy, and better sleep. However, the biggest change for me personally is the condition of my skin. From the age of 12 years old until now, I have struggled with acne and within a few days of clean eating, my skin was completely clear. My face was brighter and "glowier" as I call it, and the skin all over my body became smoother and softer. It was the miracle cure I had always searched for-- who knew it was so easy!?

3. Sometimes the substitutions aren't even worth it.
Growing up I drank milk a LOT. I had it in my cereal for breakfast, chocolate milk as a snack, drank it to wash down a home-cooked dinner, and to dunk my cookies in for dessert. As part of my experimental veganism I tried a couple of different varieties of milk-- hemp, soy, rice, and oat. Although soy milk consistently goes into my lattes now, and the rice and oat milks taste fine in my cereal, I have not yet found a non-diary milk that I can drink plain in a glass like I used to. In that regard, I decided that drinking milk substitutes was not worth the less-than-yumminess so I just bypass milk as a beverage altogether and have green tea or water instead.

4. Sometimes the substitutions ARE worth it.
As I mentioned before with the Grateful Grahams, some of the vegan alternatives I've found are completely worth it and often taste even better than their non-vegan counterparts. The soy lattes I order taste creamier to me than before, tofutti sour cream tastes just like regular sour cream when it's mixed in with food, and Coffee Emporium sells a to-die-for vegan pumpkin roll I could eat daily.

5. Vegan food is delicious
Luckily, going vegan has not been much of a struggle for me as far as my taste buds go. I've always liked a wide range of fruits and vegetables and I've also been blessed with a sense of adventure when it comes to food. I'll try anything once. On a recent trip to Barnes and Noble, I decided to check out some vegan-themed cookbooks and found myself salivating as a flipped through the recipes. Everything looked so amazing-- I can't wait to try them all!

 
6. I was eating way too much.
There were some days during the week, especially when I was working or very busy, that I would go for hours without eating anything at all. Sometimes it was because I was at a location were there were exactly zero vegan options, other times I was simply so busy I forgot to eat. While I do not condone starving yourself, I will say that it made me realize that I really don't need that much food to survive and thrive. Before my reboot, I was eating all the time, and often mindlessly. Not Good. Now I feel like I am more aware of my body's signals and I can determine when I'm truly full before I stuff myself silly.

7. I LOVE CHEESE. 
Forgoing cheese has been the absolute hardest part for me so far. I don't crave steaks or burgers or even eggs for breakfast. However, I DO find myself fantasizing about diving head first into a pool of queso, devouring entire blocks of cheddar, and eating a giant gooey slice of cheese pizza. Finding a substantial cheese-substitute is my next mission!

What are some things you've learned in your vegan journey? What are the biggest challenges? Do you have a favorite vegan milk or cheese substitute? Please share in the comments below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment